Thursday, June 29, 2006

Daylily Seedling



Daylily Seedling
Hemerocallis

I got this daylily from White Flower Farm in their 'nifty fifty' package. It was 50 daylily seedlings they had grown in their fields but not selected to put on the market. This one (I know it's a macro) has great color. They have taken a long time to develop, but it has been worth it. Daylilies are an interesting bunch. They can be grown in zones 1-11 (Caribou to Miami) and are easy to grow. The flowers only last one day, often blooming from sunrise to sunset. The culture of Daylilies in the United States started in the 17th century with the import of the orange colored species H. fulva from England. You can see it has made itself at home on the side of our roads. There are now over 60,000 registered cultivars. I planted a lot of daylilies this year and the choices were mind-boggling. I will probably be taking some photographs of the different varieties that I planted. Today I went to Manhattan to B&H Photo for some small equipment. I could have ordered it online but I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted. I hope tomorrows picture will be from NYC.

No comments: