Friday, July 03, 2009

Blue Bananas

Banana
Musa acuminata ss. ‘Java Blue
(MEW-suh) (ah-kew-min-AY-tuh)
Synonym: cv. ‘Ice Cream’, Ney Mannan
Click Here for a Larger Version


This Banana was growing at Quail Botanical Garden in San Diego. While the tropical gardeners here probably think it is common, to me it was an amazing sight. I had never seen blue bananas before and found them to be both enchanting and exotic. The tree itself didn’t appear to be that special but the flower and fruit were.


According to the couple of sources I found the fruit of this tree is very sweet and several people rated it as the sweetest banana available. The tree grows from 15 to 20 feet tall.

We made it to Maine and of course it is raining here. The flowers and farm fields really look lush and green. It was a ten hour drive and I am still feeling the effects of that but want to go out and get some pictures.

6 comments:

Misti said...

I love taking pictures of banana's. They have such good texture and personality!

Have fun in Maine

i beati said...

double wow

SandyCarlson said...

Made me think of the blue potatoes I can't get my eyeball around. What a neat surprise.

Sara Chapman said...

Hi Chris,

The blue bananas are quite striking, but what IS the second photo? I don't know what the subject is, exactly. Caption, please!

If you have time, come look at my sweetpeas. They smell heavenly!

Indrani said...

Seeing something like this for the first time. Great shot!

Diane Dehler said...

Blue bananas for a blue tuesday I guess. Anyway, I stopped by to catch up on your recent postings, Chris and wish you a nice summer. Take care