Monday, September 01, 2008

Showy Stonecrop


Showy Stonecrop
Sedum 'Strawberries and Cream'
(SEE-dum)

Another Ruby Tuesday entry. All of the tall Sedums make a wonderful addition to the fall garden. This one is nice since it has purple foliage that is different from most of the others. The flower color is also different. The red and creamy white combination is always a good one to me and is often a default color scheme (with bright white added in) for my work gardens.

We spent the weekend in Surf City, New Jersey on Long Beach Island . It was lovely and I got a few good pictures. The gardens at all the different houses were really very well done. Most were small but they had their own charm and good points and when a garden has those it is usually successful. It was interesting to me because although the plant choices seem to be a little limited the people do a lot with them. This container garden was across the street. I liked the look of having all the pots down the walk like that. It was a nice look compared to just having all the annuals planted together and forming a carpet. There were Marigolds, Geraniums, New Guinea Impatiens and Begonias planted in all the pots.


This red lifeguard chair was shot exclusively for Ruby Tuesday. For other Ruby Tuesday participants please visit the Work of the Poet

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you (and your camera) had a nice time at the shore. Happy Ruby Tuesday.

DrillerAA said...

The flowers are outstanding.
The beach shot is very nicely done.
Have a great Ruby Tuesday.

Norm said...

awesome set of pictures, I like them especially the first one, very beautiful...

Dirkjogt said...

I 'scrolled' through your blog. I love flowers and your pictures are from high quality. Also gives me the opportunity to learn more.

Anonymous said...

Nice sets of photos.

WiseAcre said...

You sent me back to my perennial catalog again. I'll have to look elsewhere to find the 'Strawberries and Cream' though. The purple foliage is always welcome and so is any Sedum that doesn't have yellow flowers :)

marcia@joyismygoal said...

That chair is striking isn't it

Ralph said...

What a great beach house, and the landscaping enhances the sandy soil and turf (if there is any).

Love the Jersey shore, although I haven't been there in years. Spent my earliest years and later vacations on Brigantine Island. The best beaches in the world!

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the look of the snowy stonecrop. I'll have to look for some next spring. ;-)

All those pots lining the sidewalk DO look very pretty. I bet the owner was forever watering them though. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun time you had! Beautiful shots as always! Mine is HERE if you have a time! Thanks!

Dianne said...

LBI is wonderful!!

your shot of the lifeguard chair is great.

all your photos are

Raven said...

Nice shots all, but I really love the lifeguard chair - seems sort of symbolic of the end of summer.

Gayle said...

That is a lovely red flower.

DrowseyMonkey-Photos said...

Excellent post for ruby tuesday! Love the photos :)

maryt/theteach said...

No sedum I know looks like that, Digital! I didn't even know there was red sedum! The lifeguard chair is awesome and so poignant - the message is "the summer is over." :)