Sunday, November 29, 2015

Japanese Camellia



Japanese Camellia
Camellia japonica ‘Valtevareda'
(kuh-MEE-lee-a) (juh-PON-ih-kuh)
Synonym: Common Camellia

Practicing a gardener’s optimism I dutifully ordered 12 more “hardy” Camellias for a garden in Scarsdale. The last two plantings got wiped out by the bad winters. One or two branches with a couple of weak leaves had to be considered a total loss. Since the owner really wants some outdoor Camellias I was willing to try again. This time I tried to find a warmer, more sheltered area of the garden and will be erecting burlap wind barriers and spraying with wilt pruf. My feelings are that the last batch got a little too much sun and wind in the winter.

Well I haven’t posted a black and white flower picture recently so here are two of Camellia japonica cultivars growing under glass,
unnamed


No comments: