Saturday, June 30, 2007

Virginia Sweetspire (Itea virginica 'Henry's Garnet')

Virginia Sweetspire
Itea virginica 'Henry's Garnet'
(eye-TEE-uh) (vir-JIN-ih-kuh)

This plant has performed well for me. It can grow in a moist semi-shady location, which is always a plus. The flowers are fragrant and the red branches offset the green foliage nicely. It can spread a little too much if it is happy but I don’t find removing the suckers to be a problem. The fall color is the real show in my opinion as it is a wonderful kind of brick red color with some variations to purple as it goes through the autumn season. Great for the woodland garden and hardy to USDA Zone 5.

Today I am going to buy a few more plants. I have to get 50-60 Green Sheen Pachysandra and a few low perennials for along a new garage/barn that one of my customers built in Pound Ridge.

I have been going back and adding titles to some of my other posts as well as correcting my lousy grammar and spelling. I hope I haven’t confused anyone with publishing old posts. I just couldn’t figure out any other way to do it.


RUTH said...

I'm always interested in plants that can tolerate some shade as my garden spend much of its day in the shade. I must find out about Zones so I know if something will grow here in the UK or not.

Digital Flower Pictures said...


I left you a link in Sunday's post about the hardiness zones for the UK

Ki said...

Great photo of the Itea flowers. I thought it might be a nice shrub to have but when I google images of the plant it looked less impressive. Looks sort of like the summer sweet we dug up or a butterfly bush. Too scraggly for me.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

It sometimes take a little while to reach its full potential. It wouldn't be good as a focal point but is nice on the edge of the garden or the woods. The fall color is superb.