Monday, May 12, 2008

Variegated Big Periwinkle
Vinca major 'Variegata'
(VIN-kuh) (MAY-jor)
Synonyms: Greater Periwinkle, V. m. Elegantissima’, Vinca Vine

I don’t think I have ever photographed this flower before. I have never grown a planting of it either, but used it lot in containers. This maybe the first time I remember even seeing it flower. It is totally entrenched in the back garden of the little farm. So much so I may walk around with a little roundup to get rid of some them. It is considered invasive and I can see why! It is rated to USDA Zone 6 (-10F), which is something I never knew. At the end of the season we have been tearing out thinking it wasn’t hardy.

Here are some pictures from the farm. Geographically it is the most northern of our gardens and probably is another climate zone colder than most all of them. This is little Amelia the Sheltie puppy. Very camera shy and right after I tried to take her picture she dug a hole in the garden. She sure is cute. There is also another dog, 3 cats, 2 goats, 4 horses, 10 sheep, chickens and for wild animals there are always deer, turkeys and a hawk. I can’t wait to that big patch of Iris bloom. It is a nice garden but you can see it has some blank spaces. We are probably going to plant a lot of new perennials to beef up what is there.


This is a picture of one of the plantings in the back yard after our pruning. I was walking around with my camera taking some close ups and happened to see the way these plants looked together.



This white Lilac was also blooming yesterday. I am going to cut it down when it is finished flowering. The snow plow knocked it over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful garden! I would love to see that iris bed in bloom. We had some iris blooming, the marsh/Louisiana kind, about a month ago in our ditches near the house. I wish I could grow bearded iris here.

Marie said...

Beautiful photos from a beautiful garden!

Sandy Kessler said...

pretty though