Sunday, December 23, 2007

Reed Stem Orchid - Epidendrum

Reed Stem Orchid
Epidendrum ‘Michael’s Rubelite’
(ep-ih-DEN-drum)
Synonyms: Star Orchid, Crucifix Orchid

I think this orchid is named right, I bought it at a small plant sale so I wasn’t sure. It was blooming at work a couple of weeks ago and probably still is, since the flowers last a long time. I took this using the on camera flash since the light in the Conservatory is a little low, especially on a cloudy day.

Epidendrum is not the showiest Orchid to grow but is one of the easiest. It is an epiphyte type. Epiphyte is used to describe plants that attach itself to another plant for support. It is not parasitic and very rarely damages the host. Often referred to as “air plants” since they do not root in soil this only describes some of the epiphyte type plants, as there are some aquatic plants that are in this category, also. Epidendrum is a huge (mega) genus of Orchids and are native to the tropical and semitropical regions of North and South America. They grow in almost all conditions and elevations and have been distributed and naturalized all over the world. There thought to be about 900 species in the genus.

These are Orchids are easy to grow and can take a variety of conditions when grown indoors or outdoors. The main cause for them not to flower is low light. If yours isn’t flowering move it to an area that has brighter light. They do like a lot of water and regular fertilization.


I took this sunrise picture last week. I don’t remember which day but it was one of the few clear days. It seems like it has been cloudy a lot lately. The colors aren’t bad for Connecticut, eh? When it has been clear there have been some really, really nice sunrises. I guess that is one benefits of living on top of a huge hill. I know one of the bad things is how fast the wind whips through here in the winter.

5 comments:

DigitalShutterMania said...

Digital Flower,

Nice shots again.
Merry X-Mass and Happy New Year
Wishing You Happy and Prosperous New Year
My New Year card as follows: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2249/2129832682_0e014a30ca_o.jpg
Cheers
DSM

Mark said...

Hi Chris,
Hope you enjoyed me waving to you in Manhattan, the look on your face was a picture.You were to far away to hear me but I was wishing you and you family a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Ho Ho Ho Mark

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas!

I love the orchid--the detail in those small flowers are amazing. Since it's an epiphyte, do you have to provide a "host plant" for it as well, or is "anchoring" it in wood chips or mix enough? Just curious.

Forgetfulone said...

The photos of all the flowers are gorgeous! I sure wish I could take pictures like that.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Mark and DSM, thanks and same to both of you.

Kim, I answered you on your blog but for everyone else you can grow the Redd Orchids in Orchid Bark or strapped to a log.

forgetfulone, thanks for visiting. Keep shooting, practice makes perfect!