Sunday, August 05, 2012

Bleeding Heart




Bleeding Heart
Dicentra 'Candy Hearts'
(dy-SEN-truh)

This new Dicentra has really been holding up well during the heat waves and we had actually planned for it to go dormant during the summer. This plant is a hybrid of Dicentra peregrina and the old garden stalwart Dicentra eximia, which after series of seedlings gave us ‘Candy Hearts’. It seems a lot of the best traits from both parents were retained with a splash of hybrid vigor. The foliage is just beautiful too. It’ a nice mix of shape and color and is worth growing on its own. This picture is not my most famous moment with a camera and I wish I had taken a couple more shots with a little more setup. Here it is anyway and you can the foliage is nice looking and it is a bit more powdery blue in the garden.


Last night I watched the movie, Marley on the Palladia HD channel.   It was riveting to me and feel a little affected today. It is quite a story cumulating in his 1981 death of cancer at 36 years old. He seemed like a much more complicated character then I remember of his public self. I might even buy the DVD (shocking, I know). I love watching Palladia. They have all sorts of concerts and types of music.

Since it is Sunday here is the traditional Sunday Snapshot, although this rose really deserves a post on its own.


Large Flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa ‘Don Juan’

I like roses that are sure what color they are and this one knows it  is red. A deep, rich red. The color combined with the strong scent and habit make it a truly great rose.

No comments: