Sunday, November 12, 2006

Tahitian Dawn Bougainvillea




Tahitian Dawn Bougainvillea
Bougainvillea 'Monan'
(boo-gan-VIL-lee-uh)

This plant has been doing well in the conservatory. I really don’t know much about Bougainvillea other than having admired it for the wonderful flower bracts and its tenacious growth habits. I usually just trim off any stringy branches and let it dry out between watering and that seems to work out well. According to Monvoria.com this plant has a strong vining habit with growth up to 30 feet. I am growing mine in a pot and it was trained more like a shrubby tree when I bought it. It is always nice to have it blooming, giving a nice tropical feeling to the indoors. One thing I agree with Monrovia about is their warning to take care when transplanting Bougainvillea. It has thorns that are not apparent and they can hurt.

No comments: