Monday, December 04, 2006

Red Jewel Crabapple (Malus x ‘Red Jewel’)




Red Jewel Crabapple
(Malus x ‘Red Jewel’)

This picture was shot the same time the photo for my entry on November 26th was. See that post for my general feelings about Crabapple cultivation. This tree had just been planted this year and it did not have the most beautiful branching structure. Perhaps it needs a little time to develop. It did have a good crop (especially for a small tree) of these brilliant red fruit. ‘Red Jewel’ is a white flowered variety that grows to 15 feet tall. It is generally considered to be disease resistant. Since my last post I learned a bit more about Crabapples. A tree is considered a Crabapple if the fruit is 2 inches or less in diameter. Anything larger is considered an apple. I may start updating this blog every other day, as the flower season is gone. I have a few evergreen and tropical plant pictures that I have not posted that I can use to update this space.

This is my 150th post!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)