Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Audubon House and Tropical Gardens



Audubon House and Tropical Gardens
Key West, Florida

Well since I am just sitting here ticking off the days until I leave for Florida I thought I would feature a garden from Key West. The Audubon House and Tropical Gardens is a favorite tourist attraction for me. I have visited several times over several years and I must say that each time it is a little more upgraded. You can see from the black and white view that the tree canopy took a hit from all the hurricanes (this was last winter) but I found the gardens below in excellent and robust condition. I am sure by now that most of the trees have come back. They were shooting out a ton of new growth last year. If you want the history of the house click on the link, it is very interesting. John James Audubon just stayed here; he didn’t own the house, during his trip to the Florida Keys and the Dry Tortugas in 1832. The house has a lot of historic information and pictures and is perfectly restored. The furniture collection is fabulous and really looks authentic. One reason I like the one-acre garden is that there aren’t too many other people. I went twice in the month I was in Key West and one visit found no one else in sight. There is a nice store with all types of Audubon things and some other tasteful items.



You can see the rest of my pictures of the Florida Keys by clicking here

No comments: