Saturday, January 20, 2007

‘Fishnet Stockings’ Coleus

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting‘Fishnet Stockings’ Coleus
Solenostemon scutellarioides
(sol-en-oh-STEM-on) (skew-tell-ar-ee-OY-deez)

When I looked up this Coleus on the Internet I remembered how many new cultivars there are. I had one whiskey bucket planted with about 6 different types and they grew to about 4 feet tall. I have a picture of it somewhere I just couldn’t lay my hands on it. I read that there are many Coleuses that grow in the sun. I always plant them in the shade but last year I had some in areas where they got a little sun and some bright light and I did notice an increase in vigor and color. So next year I will try a few plants in more sun. It is taking me awhile to warm up to this idea. ‘Fishnet Stockings’ is an odd color combination but it works. It doesn’t look too garish and the green is a really nice different shade of green. This Coleus gets tall and very bushy. I would rate the growth habit as excellent.

It really is winter outside my door, today. The wind is absolutely howling and it was snowing before. The sun has come out but the temperature hasn’t gone up any. I can take it, no problem, as I already feel like a got a free month in December.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

http://www.wadsworthatheneum.org/
This is the main room of the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, Connecticut. I didn’t like this place as much as the Yale galleries but is nice and had an interesting collection.

2 comments:

Ki said...

I like the light but barricades to keep people from getting too close to the paintings?

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Actually you can get right up to the paintings. Those ropes create a six-foot barrier from the main room. The paintings in the far right corner are by Picasso.