Thursday, January 25, 2007

Metropolitan Museum of Art and Central Park




Yesterday I was in Manhattan and decided to take a walk in Central Park and mosey over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I actually found a few flowers blooming. I took this picture of the daffodils and Witch Hazel on January 25th, amazing!. The Witch Hazel is not unusual as they bloom in February around here. It is a great shrub for large areas and in addition to its very early fragrant flowers the foliage is nice throughout the season and in autumn. I will have to cover Witch Hazel in another post, as I am a big proponent of this shrub. Seeing the daffodils was kind of freaky and I wonder how they will like the weather tomorrow as it is suppose to under 20 degrees F. That is the forecasted high temperature. Here in Connecticut it might not make it out of the single digits. My, my how things have changed. It is a completely different pattern then we experienced in December and the beginning of January.





Since I had enjoyed my visit to The Yale Center for British Art and the Art Gallery at Yale University I decided to pop into the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is located on 5th Avenue near East 81st Street. I ended up spending a couple of hours and still didn’t get to see everything. Keeping with a botanical theme I decided to post this still life of flowers. I had forgotten about one of my all-time favorite art exhibits (I found it really fascinating as a kid) the Arms & Amour section. I actually got lost for a little awhile inside and just kept going into more and more galleries. I will have to go back for some more exploring.



Still Life: Flowers and Fruit
Severin Roesen
1850-55
Oil on Canvas
Metropolitan Museum of Art


I got a few more pictures that I will be posting over the next couple of days.

No comments: