Sunday, May 27, 2007

Magician Deutzia Buds (Deutzia 'Magician')


Magician Deutzia Buds
Deutzia 'Magician'
(DOOT-zee-uh)

These are the buds of Magician Deutzia. I never noticed the star shaped design until I went to photograph the buds. I found several scientific names listed for this plant and couldn’t decide which one was correct. I have two of these growing in two different areas and the only complaint I have with them is they try and grow too big. It is partially my fault for planting them where I did. I had room for about a 5-foot shrub and these seem to want to grow taller than that. I think I may try and move one of the plants to an area where it will have a little more room to expand. They seem to be pest and disease free, which is always a plus. The flowers are unusual with pink underside and a white reverse. They seem a little bigger than the other couple of Deutzias types I grow. There will always be room in my shrub border for Deutzia gracilis 'Nikko'. I often use it as a groundcover or in combination with upright Japanese Maples. I will have to try and get a picture of it in the next couple of days as it is in full bloom right now.

3 comments:

Mark said...

What great pictures again and again,how do you find the time to do all the gardening and take the excellent flower pictures,i think you need to put your feet up for a bit and have a cup of tea, or something a bit stronger.

Cheers Mark

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Plenty of time for putting my feet up during the winter. I will look into that something stronger for now ;)

Ki said...

Please post a pic. of the Deutzia 'Magician' when it blooms. Looks like an interesting plant.