Monday, May 07, 2007

Variegated Japanese Maple Again (Acer palmatum 'Higasayama')


Variegated Japanese Maple
Acer palmatum 'Higasayama'
(AY-ser) (pahl-MAY-tum)

This sure is a beautiful Japanese Maple. I took this picture when I visited a local retail nursery. They had quite a nice display garden and it was filled with among other things some nice Japanese Maples. I was there looking for two 10-12 foot Japanese Maples myself and they had them but wanted $2000 each. They were Acer palmatum 'Trompenburg' which is has a nice rolled leaf and holds its color well during the season (slight bronzing). Since the tree only grows to about 15 feet this were mature specimens. So I think they were worth it as they are for an entranceway to an estate in Ridgefield.

‘Higasayama’ has a unique appearance when the foliage is emerging. It reminded of ten thousand hands unfurling. The color is great especially when the sun was glancing off it.



Here is another picture of a tree in the display garden that had a beautiful color. The slight red tinge around the leaves really added a lot. Unfortunately it was not marked but I want one anyway. I featured another Variegated Japanese Maple on April 18th.

Back to the grind today. I am still only feeling 90% but have to get after some of this work.

Synonyms: Roseo-marginatum, Higasa yama, Cristatum Variegatum

2 comments:

Mark said...

Hi, Great pictures the light is so important to making something ordinary into something that bit special. Love the close up of the frogs eye definately different, i enjoy macro work to.
Cheers Mark

Ki said...

Very beautiful cultivar. I'll have to put it on my list. As always, great macro..the leaves seem to glow.