Thursday, May 03, 2007

Weeping Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida 'Pendula')


Weeping Flowering Dogwood
Cornus florida 'Pendula'
(KOR-nus) (FLOR-id-uh)
Cornaceae

I wouldn’t wish this tree on anybody with a small garden. No matter what I spray it with or how many times I spray it, it still gets fungusy, and looks like heck by summer. Sometimes it is even earlier than summer. I am sure that this is probably caused by something I am doing and is probably not the tree. It does have an interesting winter outline and for brief time in the spring, when it flowers you remember why you are growing it. It started out its career a little light on the flowering but pretty much flowers heavily every year now. It has been in the garden for about 10 years and it wasn’t that small when I planted it either. I much prefer the two Weeping Kousa dogwoods I have in the same garden. This tree is still a Dogwood and that always commands respect from me. I think it is one of the aristocrats of the flowering trees. It is just that this particular form is odd.



I also snapped this picture of a semi-submerged frog. It came out okay considering with both startled each other. I had the 60mm Nikon lens on the camera so I just snapped the picture and he swam away. This is not a crop of a larger image. I was actually trying to take a picture of a little white Primrose that was blooming along the pond banks. This garden has about 5,000 Primroses and there is only one tiny patch of this type. My Primrose picture didn’t come out so I will have to settle for the frog.

I am back to my paperwork. Who would have thought managing a few gardens would require this much paperwork?

No comments: