Thursday, April 10, 2008

Glory-of-the-Snow


Four from the Farm
Glory-of-the-Snow
Chionodoxa forbesii
(kye-oh-no-DOKS-uh)

Running late again this morning. Here are four photos from the farm’s garden. It is a windy, exposed site on the side of a ridge so spring comes a little later. I did some work in the big perennial border, which is usually cared for by the staff but I helped them divide and move a few things. The roses are cleaned up and ready to grow.


The farther out you go from the house the less garden there is but I found this little collection of Crocus blooming under the largest specimens of Dawn Viburnum I have ever seen. Only two of the types photographed well ;)


It is finally feeling a little like spring as we have put a couple of nice warm days back to back. It is still pretty cold overnight.

7 comments:

Sandy Kessler said...

blues of this depth hard to find. I'm always searching for them in my gardenrmdheat

Nessa said...

Stunning.

SandyCarlson said...

Your flowers fill me with hope. We have nothing on our little hilltop yet!

chey said...

Glory Of The Snow is absolutely beautiful!!

Priscilla George said...

Beautiful. The blue kind is stunning. It looks like it has glitter on it! By the way I gave you an excellence award. When ever you have time do come by and pick up it.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks to all. I would recommend this bulb. It really adds a nice blue to the garden.

Sandy Carlson, Woodbury was always so late. I have been doing some work in lower Westchester County and am amazed at how much ahead of us they are. Just try and be patient, it will come ;)

VL, thanks it will probably be over the weekend at this point. I am swamped right now.

Ki said...

Sad to see these go. They're still hanging on despite a spike in the temps to the middle 70's but they won't last much longer. I think we'll plant Chionodoxas to replace crocus the squirrels dug up. They don't seem to like the Chionodoxas but who knows they are perverse little devils.