Monday, April 28, 2008

'Orange Dream' Japanese Maple


Japanese Maple
Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'
(AY-ser) (pahl-MAY-tum)

This is a relatively new Japanese Maple cultivar. It is quite striking both when the foliage emerges and in the fall. Its foliage is a nice lime green during the summer. It grows to about 15 feet and has green bark. The bark is nice as it is a contrast to the foliage. I have noticed some variation in the emerging color. This one was particularly yellow with a pronounced red stripe on the end of the leaves but I have also seen specimens that emerge more orange.

This was a nice group of Daffodils I saw yesterday. Their color kind of matched the ‘Orange Dream’. I was lucky to get about 10 or 12 good pictures yesterday. I don’t think I will have the camera out today as 1 to 2 inches of rain is expected here. We certainly need it, as everything was really getting dry. I have a couple of appointments and can finish my paperwork today.

7 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Beautiful! I love patterns on the maple. I just visited a beautiful Daffodil/Narcissus farm this weekend. It was heavenly! I'm playing catch-up today and I wanted to tell you that enjoyed seeing your previous posts, too. All wonderful pictures!

i beati said...

its a bright world this Monday !!

WiseAcre said...

The rian is giving me time to visit. As usual your photos leave me speechless. I always enjoy visiting your blog even if I don't comment much.

Ki said...

Ah, Japanese maples are one of my passions and I've seen many discussions about 'Orange Dream' but have never seen photos of it...my old Vertrees book doesn't have photos of the newer cultivars. I can see why there's such a buzz about this JM. My Kastura has the same coloration but much more muted. This may unfortunately lead to more searches and buying ;) You are a bad influence. :)

Digital Flower Pictures said...

sandpiper, sandy thanks for the comments.

wise acre, speak up anytime. Thanks for reading and posting a comment. We really needed that rain but I wish it would go away now.

ki, I know you have a beautiful collection of Japanese Maples. It is quite a handsome tree that changes through the season. What the heck go ahead and get one.

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous.... too love flowers at FTD.

Unknown said...

Oh, wow, such beautiful photos! The maple leaves almost look like lots of hands reaching out. :)

The daffodils look just like I would imagine them to look. I've never seen that many in real life, but in the photo they look beautiful.

Cheers,

David Webb - Nature Pictures
~/~