Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mellow Yellow Thunberg Spirea


Mellow Yellow® Thunberg Spirea
Spiraea thunbergii 'Ogon'
(spy-REE-ah) (thun-BERG-ee-eye)

These were blooming so well at work that I had to take a couple of pictures. They are very early blooming for Spirea and I guess it flowers early in general. After the flowers fade the foliage is a nice goldish-green and the fall color is lovely. This shrub seems pretty tough and it can get pretty big. However like most Spirea it can be sheared to keep it smaller.


We use a lot of the different Spirea species and cultivars since they are easy to grow, showy and can kick it up a notch on the color in the garden. They seem to be pretty deer resistant when they get a little older.


This photo is an emerging needles on a Weeping Japanese Larch (Larix kaempferi 'Pendula'). Most of the time when I see this plant it is staked to grow upright. I like mine to grow along the ground so they have been trained that way. It is kind of what I would call an ‘oddball’ and certainly not for everyone. I like the bright green color that contrast with the orange twigs. The yellow fall color is a nice show, also. It is a deciduous conifer, which is defined as a cone-bearing tree that loses it needles every year.

I have to work today and I have to catch up with some business correspondence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)