Friday, November 26, 2010

Pink Chinese Dogwood

Pink Chinese Dogwood
Cornus kousa
(KOR-nus) (KOO-suh)

This tree has been in full bloom for the last couple of weeks. For those not familiar with Dogwoods they are supposed to bloom in the spring. This is the first time I have ever seen one blooming like this in the fall. They have Christmas lights on it now and it is also in full fall color. Originally I thought that maybe it was newly planted and some how been forced to flower now but that really doesn’t make any sense.


Plants and the botanical world continue to amaze me even after all this time working with them. I had to sneak into the parking lot of a jewelry store to grab these pictures. If the tree flowers again next fall I will have to try and get a few cutting or seeds from it. It might start a revolution.