Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dutchman's Breeches


Dutchman's Breeches
Dicentra cucullaria
(dy-SEN-truh) (kuk-yoo-LAIR-ee-uh)

It had been a long time since I had seen this little wildflower blooming. At first it looked like some kind of modified Bleeding Heart until I remembered its name. That initial impression wasn’t far off as I had the genus right but not the species. The foliage is luxuriant and has a nice detail to it. The little flowers are also nice looking with their hint of yellow. This flower has a lot of interesting things associated with it including being spread by ants ( Myrmecochory ) and being used to treat various medical problems over the years. It was fun to see blooming in the garden on Friday.

For more flower pictures from around the world check out:
Today’s Flowers . The links open at 1400 GMT.


Here is a bonus picture since it is Sunday. Happy Easter to all that are celebrating today. This is a picture of an amazing Tiffany Stained Glass panel called Hibiscus and Parrots from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. Karen and I visited last Sunday and it was her first time (I have been there at least 10 times before). She was amazed at all the old master paintings and antiquities we saw. They also have a very cool guitar exhibit right now, which was interesting to me.

9 comments:

Rajesh said...

Beautiful flowers.

Anonymous said...

♥Nice post.) Love your blog.))♥

Anonymous said...

They look like they have little bows on them...very pretty! Also love the second picture.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment. I'm a day late but I posted anyway...

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

grat shot of the second and the first one never I have seen one like the same
congrats
http://graceolsson.com/blog/2011/04/my-anguished-soul/

Kala said...

One of my favorite spring wildflowers and don't you just love the name?

January Zelene said...

beautiful photos..

Here’s My Flower for Today Wild Sunflower of Bukidnon

Jennifer Bowen said...

What a funny name for such beautiful flowers! I love, love, love your shot! Great photography!

Fotokarusellen said...

A great post and beautiful images. Well done!

Unknown said...

Nice post. It is called nature. So innocent and naive to all viewers.
dean graziosi