Sunday, April 03, 2011

Striped Red Petunias



Striped Red Petunias
Petunia 'Ultra Blue Star'
(peh-TEWN-ya)

These Petunias are from the 2009 season. I have to admit that Petunias have a special place in my heart and all the breeding that has been going on with them has made that love even stronger. I am not sure what type these are but they might be ‘Ultra Star Crimson’. Growing Petunias is easy if they have the right conditions. Many sources say they grow well in partial shade but to me full sun is better. They also like water but need to be in well draining soil. Modern types do not need deadheading but I have found a slight cut back (light shearing) is beneficial and helps for the fall season. I can’t wait to start growing some this year.

Since it is Sunday and that means Todays Flowers here is a bonus flower. Today’s Flowers for flower pictures from around the world.


Mandevilla Vine
Mandevilla splendens ‘Sun Parasol’
(man-de-VILL-uh) (SPLEN-denz)
Synonyms: Dipladenia, Mandevilla boliviensis

It is a little unusual to find this vine in white but it is a nice change. I would like to grow on of these with that really dark red Mandevilla they have now. This flower was photogenic as I took four pictures of the flower and they all basically came out well. White flowers always kind of stump me for exposure. I often blow out the whites but here I am right on the edge. Both of the flowers in this post were taken with the D70s and 60mm/2.8 Micro-Nikkor (Nikon) lens.

6 comments:

BernieH said...

I too, just love Petunias. There are some amazing new varieties that add so much colour and vibrancy to a garden. Love your red and white striped one!

I have a white Mandevilla growing in my garden as well, although it's sold over here as 'White Fantasy'. It's a stunner. Your photo shows just how beautiful these white flowers are!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Gorgeous blooms!

My flower, have a blessed Sunday!

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots of flowers. Petunias are lovely.

Not So Simply Single said...

OH MY GOSH....those are beautiful petunias. Do you actually have these in your garden?

I finally can grow petunias. The snails are leaving them alone.

Lisa

January Zelene said...

the petunias are very pretty. very interesting color..

Here’s My Flower for Today Lavender

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

That IS a great shot of a difficult exposure. You have to go into camera RAW format to deal with the challenges of this type, usually. Those petunias look happy on the overcast day.