Monday, April 30, 2012

Calla Lily



Calla Lily
Zantedeschia aethiopica
(zan-te-DES-kee-uh) (ee-thee-OH-pik-uh)

Keeping with the California theme of yesterday here are a couple more Californian plants. The Calla lily was blooming all over the place and when I came upon this one I was reminded of the Calla I found growing way, way out in the woods on Kauai. It was such a perfect specimen and so beautiful but 3 miles into the woods.

A friend of mine once took a couple of Callas home from work and planted them in his garden. I was like “good luck with that” since they aren’t hardy in this area. The plants seemed to beat the odds and have lived in Norwalk, Connecticut for several winters. I was at his house the other night (band meets there) and I noticed his Cairn Terrier butt deep into one of his flower beds and sure enough he had totally dug up the Callas. We carefully put everything back together and will hope for the best.

This plant was almost a little alarming looking. Kind of a “Seymour” look to it. Its geometry was stunning as was its color.


Variegated Century Plant
Agave americana var. marginata
(a-GAH-vee)

No comments: