Friday, April 13, 2007

Bodnant Viburnum (Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn')


Bodnant Viburnum
Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn'
(vy-BUR-num) (bod-nan-TEN-see)
Caprifoliaceae

I was reading over at Kim’s Garden Blog about the Mouse and Trowel awards for Garden blogs.
Mouse and Trowel Awards

If you click here or on the banner (maybe) you can nominate blogs now and after April 15th you can vote for your favorites. I hope there is a good response and I will probably see a few new sites that I haven’t visited. If you like to read garden blogs and have never been over to Garden Voices you are missing a valuable resource. It feels great to be included with some great bloggers there. They have a lot of them and I can always find a couple of blogs that interest me very quickly. I don’t have too much time to read blogs but I make sure I get to the ones that I like and try a few new ones each week.

Today’s picture is of another very early flowering shrub. I have seen it bloom in February if the conditions are right. I planted these in kind of an off area and the surrounding plants have kind of covered them up. I almost forgot about them but caught a glimpse of pink and found it in full bloom. One of the best parts about photographing this flower is the strong fragrance. It really smells nice. Viburnums in general are an easy, showy group of plants to grow. My only rap is they get a little too big sometimes and should be sited accordingly.

This picture was taken with the Sigma 17-70mm lens. It sure gets some weird Bokeh . That link says this isn’t that good, as it has sharp edges. In general I am happy with this lens, especially considering the price. It is quite different from the Nikon 60mm lens. I don’t foresee buying any more equipment this year so I am going to have to make do with what I have, which isn’t too bad. That weird thing in the right background is a Bald Cypress Tree (Taxodium distichum). It does kind of look like that this time of year.

The description of the Arrow-wood or Wayfaring Tree (Viburnum) had the term corymbs. As in “Flowers in corymbs, sometimes with sterile or showy ray flowers, or in umbels”

corymbs:
“A usually flat-topped flower cluster in which the individual flower stalks grow upward from various points of the main stem to approximately the same height.”

And seen I wasn’t sure what umbels meant:
“A flat-topped or rounded flower cluster in which the individual flower stalks arise from about the same point, as in the geranium, milkweed, onion, and chive.”