Monday, April 02, 2007

Snow Crocus (Crocus chrysanthus 'Cream Beauty')


Snow Crocus
Crocus chrysanthus 'Cream Beauty'
(KROH-kus) (kris-ANTH-us)
Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ay)

I came across these wonderfully colored Crocuses in the Rock Garden at The NYBG. They aren’t very tall and grow in a tight bunch but I saw them from quite a distance. The orange stamens were an extra treat when the flower is viewed close up. I was happy to see that they were marked with the name because it cuts down on the detective work. This little gem won the RHS Award of Garden Merit in 1993. I have grown ‘Lady Killer’ Crocus (of the same species) in the garden before and been happy with that so I may try some ‘Cream Beauty’ this fall. I think I have found with Crocus if you are going to plant them it is best to go big or not to bother. 25 corms or better and then you will get a proper show. I like to scatter them over an area and then plant them where they have landed. I read that Crocuses grows well in containers but I think I will just keep planting them in the ground.

This picture kind of kicks off the photography project I have assigned myself this year. I plan on visiting a New York Botanical Garden one weekend a month throughout the season. I hope you will join me as I poke into the corners at the gardens I have visited a lot and take a frontal look at some I have not been to in years (if ever). Here is my short list of places to visit:

NYBG

Wave Hill

Brooklyn Botanical Garden

Planting Fields in Oyster Bay

The Cloisters

I haven’t ever been to these gardens before:

Staten Island Botanical Garden

Old Westbury Gardens

Kykuit

Sprinkle in a trip down to Longwood and one or two to the Arnold Arboretum and it should be a good season. I especially love the Arnold Arboretum because it is canine friendly. Plants and dogs! Two of my favorite things.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Nice job on the crocus! I love these little flowers. Don't usually see this color.