Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Haller's Pasque Flower (Pulsatilla halleri)


Haller's Pasque Flower
Pulsatilla halleri
(pul-sa-TIL-uh) (HAL-ler-ee)
Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ay)

I saw a post on the Pale Pasque Flower on a photography forum a couple of years ago and the poster was from Denmark and he said that it was one of the rarest wildflowers in Denmark, something like ‘only 11 plants’ are in the whole country. So it was fun when I was with a small group in the NYBG last year and we saw this little beauty I was able to say with authority that it’s relative was “the rarest flower in Denmark’ and people were impressed :lol: . This I believe is a more common flower but I haven’t seen it too many other places. It looks like a very nice plant for the rock or alpine garden. I have included a larger picture to show the cool looking silver hairs on the buds.



It going to be a rain day here today. I have a couple of meetings to attend but hope this isn’t a precursor of a lot of rain days this season as I already feel I am behind out in the garden. At least they called off the snow and sleet they were predicting, although the low temperature is expected to be 32 deg. F tonight. Then windy and cold for the next couple of days the weatherman said it is going to feel like early March. I know April Showers bring May Flowers as the great Al Jolson once sang.

"April Showers"
Words by B. G. DeSylva / Music by Louis Silvers, 1921
From the Broadway musical "Bombo"


“Though April Showers may come your way,
They bring the flowers that bloom in May
So if it's raining, have no regrets
Because it isn't raining rain you know,
It's raining violets,
And where you see clouds upon the hills,
You soon will see crowds of daffodils,
So keep on looking for a blue bird
And listening for his song,
Whenever April showers come along.”

1 comment:

Ki said...

Wow, love those complementary colors.