Monday, April 30, 2007

Clove Currant (Ribes odoratum)


Clove Currant
Ribes odoratum
(REE-bees)
Grossulariaceae

I wasn’t familiar with this plant until I saw it blooming at Wave Hill. I had heard about it but never seen it. I think that it was in top form both with flower and foliage. The color was set off nicely by the Hally Jolivette Cherry ( Prunus x ‘Hally Jolivette’ planted behind it. The scent was amazing and I could smell it quite a distance away. It took me along time to appreciate yellow flowers but now they are some of my favorites. The hint of red in the flowers and buds adds a lot to the beauty. I don’t think this is the kind of plant you would want next to your front door. It would be better in a mixed shrub border or the edge of naturalized woodlands. I realize I probably saw this group at its height of appearance for the year. I am not really recommending this plant but I did enjoy seeing it. Ribes can be an alternate host of the White Pine Blister Rust.



I took this picture of the Ribes and the Cherry with my point and shoot camera. It is a Nikon Coolpix 8400. It is a real nice camera and I just figured out that it shoots in the ‘SLR-type’ 3:2 aspect, if you want it to. It normally has a 4:3 aspect, which is okay for some pictures but I would rather use the 3:2 aspect for composition.

The botanical description of Ribes said the following:
“Leaves usually alternate, often 3-5 lobed, crenate or dentate”
Crenate means:
“Scalloped with shallow, rounded teeth”

Synonyms: Buffalo Currant, Yellow-flowered Currant, Missouri Currant, Ribes aureum var. villosum

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It hardly seems fair that your blog is one-stop shopping for both beautiful pictures and good horticultural content... but it is. :) Great info about the Ribes.