Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dahlia for ABC Wednesday




Today is ABC Wednesday, once again. Seems hard to believe that we are already on ‘D’. Today was a bit of a conflict for me as I enjoyed the couple of Wordless Wednesdays I did and it is also Garden Bloggers Bloom Day over at Carol’s Place, everything seems to be happening on Wednesday. Wordless Wednesday is pretty self-explanatory and Bloom Day is where a bunch of Bloggers take pictures of what’s blooming in their garden and write a post about them. The garden I am working in right now doesn’t have too many flowers during this season and it is the same at the Estate. Everybody is at their beach houses so it doesn’t make sense to do a lot for summer.

‘D’ is for Dahlia, of course. It is one of my favorite flowers and kind of an aristocrat of the summer garden season. This is one of the ‘mixed’ Dahlias I ordered and I am quite happy with it. I was a little tired yesterday after going to the Kenny Loggins concert and doing the stonework all day. I was determined to finish and made it to the end. I fixed all of the really sunken areas of the granite terrace but I have a feeling the owner is going to want some of the not so sunken areas fixed now that they are more apparent. That’s fine with me. Stonework is not the easiest way to make a living but when you’re done at least you have constructed something solid.

Here are a couple of other posts I have made on Dahlias:

2 Dahlias

Wildwood Marie

Shannon's Magenta



Here are a few of the blogs joining in:
(I'll post more when I find them.)

If you have a post let me know and I will add a link to it.






Here a couple more from the Kenny Loggins concert.

f**&^%g blogger. i'll try it again

18 comments:

Ali said...

Seems blogger doesn't want me to see your photo today :o(

Will call back later for another chance.

Mike said...

None of your pictures are displaying :(. I'll check back in a little while to see if the problem is sorted,

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I tried posting again.

Anonymous said...

I adore your macro shots and the colours are really exquisite. It's always a pleasure to visit.

Btw, Dahlia's made me thing of 'E'arwigs. :)

Ali said...

Oh wow, what a gorgeous photograph, the colours are really vibrant, and it brings to mind the flames of a warm cosy fire.

Well worth a return visit to see.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photography. Love it.

kml said...

Such a beautiful image! Love the colors!!

Please add me to your ABC list, I have included you on mine at:

http://photographybykml.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Annie said...

That dahlia is delightful.

Hin Man said...

It is so good to visit your site, I learn about flower name that I don't know before. Such a beauty in your flower shot. I especially enjoy the smooth color combination on this one. I can't wait to see your 'E' flower.

RUTH said...

What a beautiful Dahlia; your photo is lovely and made me think of a firework display. Are you able to leave your Dahlias in the ground over the winter? We normally lift ours though the last couple of years I have risked leaving a few and they have made it through the winter.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi everybody thanks for having patience for the problems with the pictures this morning. I hope I visited everybody's ABC post and thanks for viewing mine.

hin, that 'E' has me stumped. I going to have to go to the Botanical Garden and find something.

Hi Ruth,
Dahlias have to be lifted here in Connecticut. We don't have a good storage facility so we get new ones every year. That is actually cheaper, labor wise.

Jean M Fogle said...

D is for Dahlia and was an incredible dahlia it is!
I have done garden photography for a long time, actually before I switched to dogs. We own a garden center and I used to love to garden , not any more too many deer!
you might like my gardening pics and articles on my website.
www.jeanmfogle.com
Jean

Anonymous said...

That dahlia is hot, hot hot! Great shot!

AVCr8teur said...

A beautiful photo. Everything is in focus and you can almost feel the texture in the center of the flower.

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia,

Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment on my blog. Yes, I did indeed take part in the D post for Mrs Nesbitt.

Have to say - I'm enjoying your site.

Cheers

David

Mike said...

Stunning photograph yet again.

mrsnesbitt said...

Blogger problems eh?
Just for a change!

Great pics honeybunch!

Dxx

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Dxx, I probably said this before but thanks for starting ABC. It really has stimulated me to go and shoot. I have enjoyed meeting some new people.

To everyone else who left a comment, thanks. I enjoyed your pictures on 'D'.

david, I answered your camera question on the rose post. Cheers to you.

jean I will check out your garden site. Two passions in my life are plants and dogs!