Friday, August 17, 2007
This is another Dahlia portrait. It is actually a white Dahlia but it has a little yellow in it, which seems amplified in these pictures. I took it at the farm where the roses are growing. I spent all day yesterday removing the spent flowers and getting rid of the diseased foliage and stems. Karen had to help me for half a day to get it finished. I am cleaning up all the weeds and dead leaves, which is a job in itself. I can then evaluate the individual rose bushes themselves. Some are actually the rootstock growing around the dead grafted top. The flowers on these are kind of nice however the plant itself is much to wild growing. I am going to remove them this fall. There are also some varieties that just aren’t making it. I will have to replace them in the spring. I will be able to add some of my favorite types then. I spent last night studying up on rose diseases. I have them all over there. I am going to have to do something. They have someone spraying them but it hasn’t been effective. Pruning out the diseased part and removing the leaf litter will be a good start on getting them healthy.
This is a shot of the full flower.