Sunday, October 04, 2009

Gretchen Decorative Mum


Decorative Mum
Chrysanthemum x morifolium 'Gretchen'
(kris-AN-the-mum)

This orange mum is such a nice fall color. It revels in its orangeness. Of all flower colors I find that orange is everybody’s least favorite. Now that is unscientific conclusion but it has held out over my career. I am not sure why as orange, as stated by Color Wheel Pro:

“combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation.”

And according to Crystal Cure.com

“While red is associated with fiery heat, orange is associated with the benign warmth of the sun. A dynamic color to be sure, orange offers a more thoughtful control than explosive red. Curiosity is a driving characteristic of orange, and with it comes exploration of new things.”

“Put some orange in your life when you want:
to spice things up when you feel time is dragging to become more involved in something to increase creativity relief from things becoming too serious”
and this:

“If a change of any kind is need in life, just burn an orange candle for 7 nights.”

Not sure if that last one is true but if it helps somebody than what the heck.

This other picture is a Sheffield Chrysanthemum. It is the true perennial mum in garden around here and one of my favorite plants. They are usually a difficult to find so when the nursery has them I usually get a few.


Last night we went out to dinner in Greenwich Village. As always it was quite a vibrant scene. I got these pictures of the Empire State Building in the fashion district near Herald Square. The only lens I had with me was the 105mm, which was a little long. This is when a nice 24-70mm 2.8 would have been handy.



For more flower pictures from around the world check out:
Today’s Flowers . The links open at 1400 GMT.

9 comments:

Regina said...

How pretty!

Carletta said...

Lovely fall blooms! Mums are my favorite this time of year. I think the orange ones especially are more colorful!
Your night shots are stunning!

Carletta’s Captures.

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

great shot...Without comments...Love it everything that found here...congrats, dear
have a n ice weekend

graceolsson.com/blog

DeniseinVA said...

I love these shots, the flowers and the Empire State Building. You know, it's interesting but orange has always been my least favorite color to wear, but I absolutely adore orange in nature; flowers, changing leaves in the autumn. I do like the color rust. Not sure why orange affects me in that way. It's a brain thing ;) Your post was very interesting. Thanks for sharing it and thanks also for stopping by my blog.

Unknown said...

I love the photos of the Empire State building... it's so much fun to see it in black and white, and then again with the deep electric blue hue surrounding it!

I was a little afraid of orange when I first started gardening, I admit. I think that it's such a strong color that people have a little trouble figuring out how to mix it into the landscape. But no color works better IMHO to warm and liven things up--at least, no color that also works really well with cooler shades of blue and purple, too.

April said...

I love orange flowers and found your research very interesting. Your Gretchen Mums are beautiful!

Arija said...

I do love the autumn coloured selection, deep golden yellows, brick red and deepest blood red with all the russet tones in between.
Beautiful photo.

vincibene said...

I love your beautiful Gretchen!

Les said...

You may have had the wrong lens, but the Empire pictures are anything but wrong.