Thursday, March 29, 2012

Earth Song Grandiflora Rose



Grandiflora Rose
Rosa 'Earth Song'

Since we were working on the rose garden all day yesterday here is a shot from a previous year. Most of the roses made it through the winter but this year we are being a little more aggressive with removing some of the plants that haven’t preformed well. A couple of roses have really struggled and it was time for them to go. All together we need about 20 replacements to fill out the garden.

‘Earth Song’ was not on the removal list since it has been vigorous and healthy and appears hardy. The vivid pink flowers bloom in flushes and have a nice scent. It is a pleasant rose on all accounts.

We had our “hard freeze” on Tuesday night and thankfully it didn’t drop as low as the said it was going to. We had high 20’s for several hours and it didn’t do as much damage as I thought it would. The Magnolias are toast. The Star types are just a pile of brown mush and the Saucer type had damage to the outside petals, which doesn’t look good. Cherry, Andromeda and bulbs seem to throw it off. I am sure there will be more damage after a few days but it could have been worse.

5 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I just read a great article about Magnolias in American Gardener (AHS publication). Even down here some of the blooms were mush after a chilly night.
I am rose fever....serious rose fever. Bonica or Fairy? That is the question.

Debra Howard said...

wow, is it hard to rip out the ones that are struggling? I always have a hard time doing that. I tend to try to find a spot they like better. My family teases me that I torture them to death. The ones above are so pretty. I have had really great results with David Austin Roses. They did well even through the extreme cold, heat and dry that we had last year.
Debbie

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hey Janet at least you get some of the other species of Mags that grow down there. Star Magnolia is the one that really got crushed. For me its Bonica by a mile!

Hi Debra, it was a little tough especially after limping along with these guys for years but I am under strict orders, the rose garden is to be perfect on June 24th.

Houston Flower Shop said...

They are gorgeous. It is very helpful article.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Bonica? ok! I did buy a Star Magnolia earlier this month, she is along the hillside with 'Jane'.