Sunday, March 18, 2012

Miniature Rose




Miniature Rose
Rosa

Unfortunately I don’t know what variety of miniature rose this is but it has been a real trooper in the garden. Growing mini roses is easy and if you can keep the animals away from them they flower nicely through the season. Sometimes the deer seem to miss them and suddenly there will be a nice spray of little flowers and buds. They work great as a cut flower and are often fragrant. Miniature roses are true roses that are thought to have been discovered in Switzerland in 1919. They perform great in containers but I have not had much luck with indoor cultivation.

Since it is Sunday here is a bonus shot of a Pink Dogwood. This is from a full sized tree and it has some of the darkest flower color I have seen. Dogwood season is always special and they are amongst my favorite flowering trees.



Pink Dogwood
Cornus florida var. rubra
(KOR-nus) (FLOR-ih-duh)

Yesterday was an interesting day. I have been looking for a tube guitar amp for several months and I finally located one in my price range on Craiglist. Normally I don’t like to have anything to do with CL but the amps in the stores were just too much, up to about $2000 over my budget. The amp was in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn and I packed up a guitar and the dogs and we headed down there. As a funny side note our Border Collie loves NYC. She was so happy to stick her head out the window as we cut across Manhattan and through the throngs of overly happy early St. Patrick’s Day revelers.

The amp was a Fender Twin Reverb (my ultimate choice), which is has a great characteristic rock sound. Not only was it a “Twin” but the model known as the “Evil Twin”. The design is based on probably one the most famous of all rock and roll amplifiers the 1965 model. Needless to say I quickly snagged it up and feel all set for a while in that department. I love vintage stuff and this amp fits nicely into my family of Fenders.

 
Top Left: “Black Bear” 1957 Fender Stratocaster
Top Right: “DJ” 1959 Fender Jazzmaster
Center: “Gomez” 2001 Fender Telecaster (main guitar right now)
Bottom: “Junior” 2011 Fender ’51 Pawn Shop Special
I have nicknames for all my guitars now.

3 comments:

lina@women's perspectives said...

Lovely blooms, right?
You've valuable guitar collection. No wonder you name them :)

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Beautiful flowers.

Regards and best wishes

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks lina. The 57 worth a lot but more to me. Its a player and not a collector.

Best wishes to you, Tatjana. Thanks for stopping by.