Saturday, February 05, 2011

Bird of Paradise


Bird of Paradise
Strelitzia reginae
(stre-LITZ-ee-uh) (ree-JIN-ay-ee)

I found this “bird’ blooming out on the streets of Avalon, California in November. It forms kind of a nice shrub and the foliage always looks good to me too. We have one in the glasshouse at work and after about three years it decided to bloom with a couple of weak flowers although I was grateful to have them. I never considered seeing this plant growing as a street planting but it seemed to like the conditions.

This picture was shot using the Nikon D70s and Sigma 24mm/1.8 lens.

2 comments:

lotusleaf said...

Beautiful shot! This is grown in traffic circles here, and it flowers there happily.My plants flower for ten months in a year too.

SandyCarlson said...

You have me thinking I would actually like to meet this flower in person. Sure is somethin'.