Friday, February 25, 2011

Sweet William



Sweet William
Dianthus
(dy-AN-thus)

This little flower has been growing in a rock garden that I have been caring for the last couple of years. I am not sure what species of Dianthus it is. At first I thought it might be D. caryophyllus but it seems to lack some of the ten stamens present in that species. Whatever the name it forms a nice carpet, which I think grows both as a perennial and from seedlings. It provides a nice counterpoint to the dwarf conifers in the area (much nicer than mulch). A few Forget-me-nots also are populating the area and they look good together with the Dianthus.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Beautiful photos. The colors of the Dianthus and the Forget Me Nots look so pretty together.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm now a follower of yours!

Donna