Sunday, February 13, 2011

Key West Waterlily



Waterlily
Nymphaea cv.
(NIM-fee-uh)

A couple more flowers from Papa’s house (Hemingway) in Key West. The waterlily was nice to see blooming in its small pond. The color was great and there were several of the lilies blooming. The gardens at the house were in good condition offering a good selection of tropical plants. It wasn’t like some of the yards we saw on Key West, which featured overgrown and totally out of control foliage. That type of garden was fun to look at and offered the owners a lot of privacy but if it were mine I would have had to go through it with a chainsaw and machete but to each its own.

See more flowers from around the world at Today’s Flowers .

I am excited to visit one of my favorite places in the United States tomorrow, Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens . I’ll be the guy waiting at the gate for it to open with all the camera gear. Actually I am bringing the two cameras and a couple of lenses. It is important to enjoy looking at the plants as well as taking pictures of them.

Since it is Sunday and that means a bonus flower here on the Digital Flower Pictures.com blog. Here is one that has me stumped (if you know what it is let me know). I thought it was a Mimosa tree as the flower is very similar as was the growth of the shrubby tree but the foliage didn’t match at all. The powder puff flowers are always fun to look at and the color on this tree was very nice.


7 comments:

Lui said...

I love your photographs!
They are always so alive and capture the spirit of the subject.

I also saw your African Tulip Tree but the one I shot was the one in a vase in a friend's house!

Modern Mom said...

Beautiful shots!

Happy Valentine's Day!

My entry.

amatamari© said...

Really magnificent!

lotusleaf said...

The powder puff is very pretty. Looking forward to your next post.

Makarimi Abdullah said...

Beautiful shots!

Judy said...

I love water lilies, but have not found anywhere that I can get close to them...
I love the powder puff thing, too! How is your dog? Hope she is over her infection!!

Commonweeder said...

I hoped someone would be able to identify this tree. I saw many of them planted as street trees in Beijing when I lived there 15 years ago. Your photographs are all wonderful.