Monday, December 18, 2006

Fragrant Sumac (Rhus aromatica)



Fragrant Sumac
Rhus aromatica
(roos) (ar-oh-MAT-ih-kuh)

This was taken several weeks ago. My patch of Fragrant Sumac keeps growing and I keep cutting it back. This is mainly because I used it near a small patio with some Golden Barberry and Dwarf Zebra Grass (‘Nicky’). It usually is an excellent low maintenance plant that can be used for tough slopes or given enough space can be used as a shrubby groundcover. Mine are growing in a wet area (well, really moist) and that doesn’t seem to affect it. The fragrance of the foliage might turn some people off but I like it, as it is sharply pungent when the leaves are crushed. The fall color is great; I love the plants that give a mixture of the yellow, red and orange. The color is fairly persistent. I think I am going to remove the other plants growing with my Sumac and let it have the whole area.

I must admit to rushing here, as I have to go to work. This weather is just too good to stay home. The crew had their last day on Friday so I am on a solo run. I was all ready for winter but it just hasn’t shown up yet.

No comments: