Monday, November 17, 2008

Shimmer Surprise Poinsettia


Poinsettia
Euphorbia pulcherrima 'Shimmer Surprise'
(yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (pul-KAIR-ih-muh)
Ruby Tuesday

I was going to post a Red Crabapple for Ruby Tuesday but this is more fun. A small block of ‘Shimmer Surprise’ was nestled in the ocean of beautiful Poinsettias growing at the local wholsesale greenhouse, Valley View .

My spirits couldn’t help but be lifted when I went to the greenhouse and saw all the color. The plants are gorgeous and the prices are good too. We usually end up buying ten 8 inch Poinsettias and a couple of the 14 inch pots.


This Poinsettia was living up to it name. The bract color (remember it is not the flower) is considered the ‘Jingle Bell’ novelty type but the white and pink added more to it than just ‘Jingle Bells’. Looking over the big block of plants you could see everyone was different, which was almost a little hard to take in. This Poinsettia is probably not for everyone but to me it was bold and innovative.

Here is a link to a page of Poinsettia cultivars. There are many more than this but I noticed a lot of the popular ones here. There is some more information on ‘Shimmer Surprise’ in the novelty section.

Frazier’s Greenhouse/Oneonta, NY

Here is another site with a lot of Poinsettia cultivars:
Alabama Cooperative Extension/Chazz Hesselein

More Ruby Tuesday at Work of the Poet

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
((great minds think alike...!))
Happy Ruby Tuesday :)

~Just Me Miranda~ said...

I've always loved poinsettias, gorgeous shots!

Dianne said...

I like that last poinsetta, very bold

thank you for all the links and information

Raven said...

I always love scrolling through all your exquisite flowers. These poinsettia's are beautiful. I love those speckled leaves. Not sure why that delights me so, but it does.

Anonymous said...

I love poinsettia too! beautiful..

joey said...

Your poinsettia photos are stunning, Chris, but Christmas before Thanksgiving scares me ;)

Anonymous said...

oh my! lovely poinsettia shots!

DrowseyMonkey-Photos said...

Oh my, that is just breathtaking! Gorgeous!

i beati said...

tried to get them to grow the last 3 years - no luck sandy

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Sorry the links are broken

Blogger :(