Monday, October 11, 2010

Hardy Water Lily


Hardy Water Lily
Nymphaea 'Froebeli'
(NIM-fee-uh)

This photo was shot this summer using my way back up camera combo. The D70s and Sigma 28-200mm, f3.5-5.6 lens. It is a pretty good system but the D700 outclasses it. The Sigma is left over from the film days and is the longest focal length I have. It is so strange for me to use a zoom lens these days. I sometimes forget I can move the subject closer or farther away. Like the 24mm/1.8 lens that I also own the 28-200 is enormous and attracts attention, which is something that I don’t like to do when shooting.

‘Froebeli' is a nice waterlily for a small pond. It has a limited spread and is shade tolerant (it can also grow in full sun). The color is good and it shows up well against the green leaves. There is also a more red version available.

No comments: