Saturday, January 06, 2018

White Gaura



White Gaura
Oenothera lindheimeri
(ee-no-THEE-ruh) (lind-HY-mer-ee)
Synonyms: Gaura (GOW-ra), Apple blossom Grass, Lindheimer's Beeblossom, Wandflower

This plant changed its scientific name a while back and I still use the old one. I am so not a trendsetter or rider. It is now classified as an Oenothera and I am not sure why. That is a genus, which sends a bit of a chill up my spine because of tendency to run a little rampant and be invasive. However, I have leaned to grow Sundrops and know how to manage them now (borderline iron fist). This plant is much more graceful and a better garden citizen then most Oenothera.

This is a tough plant that is long blooming. It absolutely needs full sun to flower properly and good drainage. It is drought tolerant and can grow in dry areas but I have found it likes a bit of moisture too, especially during establishment. It can be short lived but worth having as a supporting character in the border.

Since I haven’t posted in some time here is a bonus photo

Garden Peony Coral 'n' Gold
Paeonia lactiflora
(pay-OHN-ee-uh) (lak-tee-FLOR-uh)

This photo doesn’t quite do justice to the color of this flower. It’s a Mr. Lyman Cousins’ “Innerglow” hybrid. Known for their luminous qualities and fragrance. A true winner.






No comments: