Wednesday, January 16, 2008

ABC Wednesday – Z is for Zinnia

ABC Wednesday – Z is for Zinnia
Zinnia elegans 'Zowie Yellow Flame'
(ZIN-ya) (ELL-eh-ganz)

If you are here for Wordless Wednesday scroll down to the next post and thanks for visiting.

In many ways this plant exemplifies what the breeding in annuals has brought us over the years. Petunias, Marigolds and Zinnias are three types of plants that have benefited from the work of these programs. I don’ think even 10 years ago I could have imagined a Zinnia that looks like this one. I really like the growth habit, flower color and the disease resistance that have been included.

‘Zowie Yellow Flame’ was introduced in 2005 and won the prestigious All-American Selection award in 2006. This Zinnia is both semi-double (flower) and semi-tall (plant). It is easy to grow and makes excellent cut flowers. One trial had the flowers lasting up to two weeks in vases. Since I have already featured this plant before I thought I would do a little more research into Zinnias themselves.

'Heartland Red' Zinnia

Zinnias originate from Mexico and were brought to Europe in 1613. They are named after a medical professor, Johann Gottfried Zinn. Who along with his book on the anatomy of the eye, wrote about the plants he saw around Gottingen, Germany and is credited with making the first scientific description of the flower. There are all types of shapes and sizes available amongst the hundreds of cultivars. The smallest plants are 8 inches tall and the tallest range up to 4 to 5 feet. All colors are available except true blue. Zinnias are not particular to soil and are drought resistant.
Some pink Zinnias I saw this summer in Queens, New York

I can’t believe we made it all the way through the alphabet. Twenty six weeks seem to go by very fast and although botanical pictures are hard to come by this time of year I hope we make another trip through the letters.

Here is the ABC Wednesday Blogroll:

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos here! WOW!My Wordless pic is up as well;-) Happy WW!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

great Z - am all ready for A again

dot said...

I love zinnas!

bonnie said...

Are there flowers for every letter?

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks.

Bonnie there certainly are flowers for every letter. The Botanical World is unlimited to me.

chartao said...

great photos!!!

this week my WW is also flowers!!!

Rune Eide said...

Very creative Z - and very beautiful flowers!

Anonymous said...

So that's what was growing in my garden! I planted candy tufts and THOSE sprung up (Zinnias). They were beautiful, nonetheless.

kml said...

Nice focus on the centers!

mrsnesbitt said...

Absolutely amazing! Gorgeous!
Dont forget to get the badge from my blog!
Dxx

Oswegan said...

Very well done, as usual.

I really enjoyed the first image. The way that the flower looked like it had more tiny flowers sprouting from its center. Very beautiful.

~Oswegan

NYCindividual said...

A great original z! I especially love the 1st photo! Great colors!

Happyone said...

Great idea, beautiful flower, and wonderful photo.

Andrea said...

Oh, and so beautiful too.

DigitalShutterMania said...

The first macro shot is awesome. I love this post because it's very creative and beautiful.

Cheers,
DSM

Max-e said...

I have fogotten about zinnias. My mom used to fill our garden with them and they always seemed so friendly and made such a nice show of colour. nice post

Sharon said...

These are amazing close ups. My favorite is the first one.

Bevson said...

I agree the first one if great, but I think because of the yellow. Perhaps we are all starved for color. The focus is terrific too. Thanks for stopping by my site.

i beati said...

some real favorites there.

AVCr8teur said...

There are so many types of flowers. How do you keep up? Zinnias are definitely colorful and the first one looks like flowers within a flower.

Mike said...

That's a lovely looking first flower, and as ever, I can't fault the cameraman.

OldRoses said...

I'm ordering Zowie zinnias for my butterfly garden. The seeds have a "zowie" price attached to them! If I hadn't seen them growing in the butterfly garden at Rutgers Gardens, I wouldn't be willing to pay to much for them but they are spectacular. One of my favorite butterfly photos from that year is of a monarch on a Zowie blossom.

Neva said...

I did consider doing Zinnias as I had some very nice ones this past summer. I love yours, though....you have the best info on all your flowers....obviously a passion with you. nicely done.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Zinnias really are a garden classic and these comments just reinforce my feelings on that.

Thanks and its on to 'A' again.

Priscilla George said...

Beautiful colors. I have been looking at getting some zinnias. My seed catalogs have tons of beautiful ones in so many colors