Friday, January 18, 2008

Hoop Petticoat Daffodil

Hoop Petticoat Daffodil
Narcissus cantabricus var. foliosus
(nar-SIS-us)
Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ay)

These were blooming in the Wave Hill Alpine House. Like the Conservatory at Wave Hill it is small by public garden standards but it is always packed with interesting plants. These little Narcissus were a bit of tease (since spring is still so far away), but were a welcome sight. They were only about 3 inches tall but the stand of flowers looked very natural in their grouping. I featured another Hoop Petticoat flower from Wave Hill here:
Hoop Petticoat Narcissus
and if your interested the divisions of the different Daffodil types are on this post
The 13 Divisions of Daffodils
That last link also explains the difference between a Daffodil and a Narcissus.


This flower falls into Division 10, the Bulbocodium Hybrids. The pictures are shot at a little bit of a weird angle because I didn’t want to included the clay pot they were in or the others around it.


When I went around the side of the Alpine House I got a little bit of a start when I realized there was a cat hiding out in the Euonymus. At first he played coy but later came out for a better shot. He almost came down to let me pet him but then took off into the plantings. I miss having a cat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like garden cats! There was one at Fairchild when we last went and I tried to get a photo but it didn't turn out well. It was a bit cautious and came a few feet away, but quickly ran off.

Priscilla George said...

What a beautiful daffodil. I have never seen one like that. Normally I don't like daffodils but this one is pretty. That cat is so cute. I too miss having a cat.

i beati said...

this series of shots perfect for my taste. whata beautiful world you've given me sandy

AVCr8teur said...

The 3rd photo is priceless.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for these images and the scoop. I'm going to find the difference between daffodil and narcissus now. Thanks for the link.