Saturday, January 26, 2008

Bengal Clock Vine

Bengal Clock Vine
Thunbergia grandiflora
(thun-BER-jee-uh) (gran-dih-FLOR-uh)
Synonyms: Blue Sky Vine, Sky Flower

Today’s pictures are again courtesy of Wave Hill. This vine was growing in a small pot, which is unusual since it quite vigorous. In climates where the ground doesn’t freeze it can quickly cover its trellis and may have to tamed to fit into the area allotted to it. This vine can easy be cut back if unwanted growth occurs, Outdoors it prefers some light or shifting shade (especially in hot climates) and rich organic soil. The lush heart shaped leaves adds to this native of India attraction in the garden.


This is the most commonly seen blue type of flowers but violet colored and white flowered forms are also available. The flowers are beautifully shaded and shaped. In this second picture it is mixing in with some Coleus flowers. I never really get to see the flowers of Coleus since I am always pinching them off. They are quite a pretty blue.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a varigated variety. Love it!

kate said...

I bought this vine thinking that it was a Thunbergia alata. It didn't bloom during the summer, but since bringing it indoors, it has been blooming regularly. The flowers are wonderful. I have some posted on my blog.

Beautiful photographs!

Sheila Lu said...

Wow! I love the photos in your blog. They're all so beautiful...

Mark said...

Hi Chris,
What cracking pictures, the blue and the yellow work so well together. How is your lens collection doing?

Cheers Mark

Priscilla George said...

I've never heard of this vine before. I love vines! This is such a pretty color. I'll need to keep this one in mind for some other time.

i beati said...

blue teasing in the background - nice