Friday, January 25, 2008

Euphorbia


Euphorbia
Euphorbia fulgens
(yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (FUL-jenz)

Wave Hill had a nice collection of different Euphorbia fulgens blooming when I was there two weeks ago. I couldn’t find out much about this plant other than it is closely related to the Poinsettia and is a native of Mexico. The milky sap is said to be a skin irritant so care should be used when handling the plants and cut flowers. It is quite popular as a cut flower, with a vase life of 7 to 10 days.

There were several foliage and flower types represented in the Wave Hill collection and I am showing these two because the pictures came out the best. I think the dark red flowers with plum colored foliage was my favorite (not pictured here). I still haven’t figured out all the tricks about shooting indoors in a greenhouse.


The common name for this plant is ‘Scarlet Plume’ but that doesn’t really work for the first picture, which was a very nice soft creamy yellow. Euphorbia fulgens actually comes in red, orange, yellow, pink and white flowers. The long pointy foliage seemed to have several shades of green and red on the different plants. The flowers come out in several places along the elegantly shaped curving branches.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Happened on your site quite by accident, but then I don't believe there are truly accidents. These are beautiful! What a gift your photography is. I've shared your blog, and I'll be bookmarking it just to come back and soak in the beauty from time to time. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I too found your site this time by accident (I had located it once before but lost the bookmark or link). Your photographs are beyond beautiful, and are really inspiring to me (and to many others, I'm sure). Thanks for sharing...and I'll be back. I found you this time through Blotanical.com

Les said...

I have been enjoying your excellent photography for some time now. I have just dipped my toe in the world of garden blogs and hope that you will visit my site.

Thanks!
Les
atidewatergardener.blogspot.com

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi jodi and lynn,

thanks for the nice comments. Please leave comments when you return it is one of the best things about this blog for me.

les, I am going to check out your site. Thanks for stopping by.