Thursday, January 17, 2008

Wonder Tree

Wonder Tree
Idesia polycarpa
(eye-DEE-zee- uh)
Flacourtiaceae
Synonyms: Flacourtia japonica, Polycarpa maximowiczii, Iigiri Tree, Ligiri

This tree blew me away at Wave Hill. It was simply amazing. I hadn’t seen it before and was thoroughly enchanted with it. I would have sworn that this tree wouldn’t be hardy in Connecticut but apparently it is hardy to USDA Zone 5. It was certainly living up to its scientific name polycarpa, which means many fruited. The long pendulous clusters of orange berries were visible from across the garden.


Since I have never grown this tree it would be hard for me to pass on any cultural information. I definitely want to get one for the estate. I did find out it is native to China, Korea, Taiwan and Japan, has fragrant yellow-green flowers and likes moist, well drained soil. It can grow in part shade also. It reaches a height of 50 feet and you can eat the fruit either raw or cooked.

7 comments:

nancy said...

I like it. I like the way you started close up and moved back. It does actually look hardy, doesn't it?
Nancy

Anonymous said...

It's a nice looking plant. I like the pendulous bunches of fruit! I dont think I've ever seen it in Australia.

K M F said...

nice plant

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks everyone. I would have to give this tree a 10 out of 10 for winter interest. I will try and grab a couple of pictures of it as it goes through the seasons next year.

Unknown said...

Wow. Gr8 colors and great height. Would love to have a tree like that in my back yard! Have a great weekend!

Priscilla George said...

What an amazing tree. I have never seen anything like it. All the fruit cluster make is so very interesting. I can't believe the things I learn from you blog. I never would have discovered these plants if I didn't read it.

i beati said...

great pull back