Sunday, January 06, 2008

Hyacinths

Hyacinths
Hyacinthus orientalis
(hy-uh-SIN-thus)

Yesterday I went down to Manhattan with the idea I would try out the 50mm/1.8 lens at the Museum of Modern Art. When I got down there at the 10:30 opening time the line to get in was just too long already so I decided to take the subway down to Chelsea and have a walk around. I went by the Wholesale Flower District on 28th Street and see if I could get a few snaps. It was a little depressing as many of the shops have closed and many weren’t open on Saturday. I did manage these shots of Hyacinths that one of the stores had placed on racks outside. These were shot with the 17-70mm Sigma lens, except for the sign picture which I used the 50mm.


Dutch Hyacinths are familiar to most every gardener. They have been in cultivation in Europe since the 1500’s. Their colorful, fragrant spikes are always welcome in the spring. I actually know a few people that don’t care for them but I think they are in the minority. They compliment nicely with Daffodils and can also stand on their own. They are best planted in clumps in well drained soil. They are quite hardy (USDA Zone 4, for most) and are lovely when forced. The blooms are long lasting and make excellent cut flowers. There are literally hundreds of cultivars to choose from. I usually plant annuals over them after they have bloomed sine this hides the dying foliage.

These are a couple of other shots I got when I was walking around Chelsea, it is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Manhattan. I will probably be posting some MoMA pictures and some other various NYC pictures this week. I will be working full-time sine it looks like we are in for a solid January thaw coming up.

This was a florist by the Chelsea Market on 15th Street.

I got a chuckle out of this one. I knew I was king of something! (:lol:)


Its like Tom Petty said:
Its good to be king and have your own way Get a feeling of peace at the end of the day And when your bulldog barks and your canary sings You’re out there with winners, its good to be king

3 comments:

David (Snappy) said...

I can Almost smell the Hyacinths.I have grown eight of these so far, with another five outdoor ones in a pot. They are beautifully shaped, with fragrant angular flowers.They look solid, and they can scent a room.Im a convert after the ones I have grown.Each to their own I guess :)
Happy New Year too!

Annie in Austin said...

Did they have a coronation without informing you, Chris? The sign looks like "Bromiliads $5.99" - did you check out the plants?

Your lovely photos reminded me that I bought a few hyacinth bulbs and planted them.. but did not write down the location. Guess I'll be surprised.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi snappy, thanks for visiting again. I saw your Hyacinths. You can plant them outside when they are done in the house.

Hi annie, Happy New Year. I am looking forward to seeing your garden progress throughout the year. The plants were huge for $5.99, probably an 8 inch pot and in full bloom. I would have picked up a couple but I was riding the train so I didn't have anywhere to put them. I am sure your bulbs will be a happy surprise.