Thursday, June 12, 2008

Blue-eyed Grass


Blue-eyed Grass
Sisyrinchium
(sis-ee-RINK-ee-um)

Not sure what species of Sisyrinchium this is since it arrived in the garden on its own. It is a fun little plant to grow and I will be encouraging it to spread. Apparently there is a bit of confusion of the number and naming of species as they are listed as between 70 and 150. A little research revealed that there is other flower colors available. This is the only color I have ever seen.

It is funny about the name, as it is not actually a true grass but a member of the Iris family (Iridaceae), nor does it have a blue eye. It doesn’t seem to be too fussy about where it grows. I have seen it growing in both moist and dry areas and in between rocks. It also seems to be deer resistant.

This was a little Depth of Field experiment that I was performing for my benefit but thought it might be nice to share. Both photos were shot with my D70s and 60mm Micro-Nikkor lens. I have been using Aperture Mode to shoot a lot of my recent pictures. They seem to come out better if I let the camera choose the shutter speed. It must be smarter than me :lol: The first picture is shot with a shallow depth of field (F3.3) and the second was at F9. The problem is I like both of them and can’t decide which is better. That is one reason I am posting both of them.

6 comments:

Priscilla George said...

I love the first one but that is my own preference. I'm a fan of the shallow depth of field as it makes photos look dreamy and more surreal. The second one is more what our eye actually sees. I like photography to be a little surreal But they tare both lovely.

Anonymous said...

We have a yellow eyed grass and the blue eyed as well, growing wild. I think the species on the yellow eyed is Xyris.

i beati said...

I love it for its diminuitiveness

Digital Flower Pictures said...

VL, I agree with you. I think I like the shallow DOF better.

misti, hi there. Maybe you can post a picture of the yellow eye grass sometime. I would love to see it.

Sandy, thanks. Sometimes the smallest things in nature are the loveliest.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for telling us about this experiment. The color and texture of the blossoms in both are great. I think I prefer the first because my eye goes straight to that one blossom.

maryt/theteach said...

This is how far down I've scrolled, digital flower! I would have kept going but I just have to stop and get back to my real life! Your photos are so beautiful! So professional! So pleasing to the eye! I will come back and continue scrolling! :D