Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Scarlet Flax on Ruby Tuesday


Scarlet Flax
Linum grandiflorum
(LIN-um) (gran-dih-FLOR-um)
Synonyms: Red Flax, Flowering Flax, Adenolinum grandiflorum, Linum coccineum

It’s Ruby Tuesday again and I shot a picture of this flower on Sunday for this post. I am trying to take a few nice red flower pictures and Ruby Tuesday has challenged me to try it. One thing I have tried with a little better results is to turn the color setting on my camera from Vivid to Normal.

Flax is an interesting plant. I have been growing two little patches of Blue Flax (Linum perenne) it seems to be a true perennial. I haven’t gotten many seedlings from them. This Scarlet Flax was growing in a seed tray outside of the Bartlett Arboretum Greenhouse and really captivated me.

For the home of Ruby Tuesday visit the teach .

8 comments:

Priscilla George said...

I love that color. It's so very vibrant and vivid! I need to try flax I'm not sure if it does well in here I'll have to look. You do a wonderful job capturing reds. They are so hard for me to capture on my camera

Roses and Lilacs said...

I'm enjoying your site. So many lovely photos.

The red flax is very simple and elegant.
Marnie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flower and photo of it!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Is this the same place we get the beneficial Flax seed? pretty and healthy makes for a great combination

Raven said...

Exquisite - as are the roses below. I especially love the color of that twice spice. Bet it smells good too.

maryt/theteach said...

Oh my goodness, digital flower, a perfect photo of a perfect little flower! Scarlet flax! Your macro shot points up how lovely the flax is! What effect do you see after turning the color setting from vivid to Normal?

Dianne said...

You make me want to practice, practice, practice my close-ups!!

Beautiful shot!!

Karen Coutu said...

Look how thin and delicate the petals are! Just beautiful!!!