Sunday, June 01, 2008

Siberian Iris


Siberian Iris
Iris sibirica
(EYE-ris) (sy-BEER-ah-kuh)

There is a lot to love about Siberian Iris. It is definitely one of my ‘go-to’ plants for tough conditions. It seems to be able to grow in very moist soil and if you need it to in fairly dry soil (water during establishment). The foliage is nice and often turns a reddish color in the fall.

This Iris was blooming in the border of one of the gardens I visited yesterday. I inherited it so I don’t know the cultivar. Since they hybridize freely there are many colors and heights to choose from. Siberian Iris is at home alongside a pond or in the border. It doesn’t ask for much care, I don’t think I have ever had anything attack it before, and is just about always reliable. One thing I found out is that it will grow in part-shade but doesn’t flower as well and the foliage gets a little wispy. The clumps don’t need to be divided but you can make many new plants if you do.

Since some of the Bearded Iris (Iris germanica) were blooming I decided to get a few snaps of those. The bi-color one was especially pretty.


3 comments:

i beati said...

I'm intriqued by all the colors there are a favorite growing up - my cousin has 50 varieties..sl

Muum said...

I have both Siberian and the bearded iris, love the bicolors, too! My Siberians grow faster than I can get them divided. Good, tough and beautiful plant.

Priscilla George said...

Wonderful photos! I love iris and the beaded iris look so delicate and girly.