Monday, September 21, 2009

Autumn Sage


Autumn Sage
Salvia greggii ‘Puebla Light Orange’
(SAL-vee-uh) (GREG-ee-eye)
Synonyms: Cherry Sage, Texas Sage

Salvia ‘Puebla Light Orange’ has been growing in the containers this year despite all the rain and cloudy days. My local nursery must have got some of the ‘Painted Dunes Collection’ since there are 4 of selections in the garden. It is funny because I just picked the flower because I liked the color not knowing what was behind getting to my garden.

Here is an excerpt fromEcke.com about this plant and the rest of the ‘Painted Dunes’ collection:
“Ecke Flower Fields is offering a collection of very popular large container and landscaping plants which have worldwide acceptance. In response to requests for genus and varieties, which provide versatile plant material that are heat resistant with good drought tolerance, self-cleaning, bloom spring to fall and have the ability to be grown cool for energy efficiency and lower production costs, Ecke Ranch reviewed its deep resource for genetics and is providing a solution.

The “Painted Dunes™ Collection”, is being introduced in an off-catalogue offering with clean stock status comprised of nine varieties. Agastache, Lavender and Salvia are the genus in the “Painted Dunes™ Collection.” In addition to filling the requirements on what is often called low maintenance vacation landscape plants, this collection is extremely fragrant and nature-friendly as they attract and provide nutrition for hummingbirds, butterflies and honeybees.”

©2008 Paul Ecke Ranch

It is a very nice selection of Salvia and I am glad to read that it is a bit more ‘green’ than most annuals. It has been a pretty good magnet for hummingbirds as they can’t seem to resist this or the Salvia ‘Black and Blue’ planted nearby.

These are two pictures from Central Park. I forgot he camera was set to monochrome and shot the afternoon in Black and White.

The first shot is a Crabapple allee near the formal garden and the second was a group of Alliums that were reblooming. It is nice type of Allium and I want to figure out which one it is.



6 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Chris, how interesting that the Ecke Floer Fields is doing that. I do like the salvias --Gregii and Black and Blue. Easy to grow!
The allium looks similar to the one I have in my posting about a few bloggers going to the Botanical Garden. Since your photo is b/w I can't tell for sure-- check out my posting and see if it is the same bloom. (Mine has an interesting bug on it) My guess is that it is an Allium tuberosum.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Amazing. If I had left my camera in black & white accidentally, I would have ended up with a monochromatic mess of a picture... yours are beautiful!

Phillip Oliver said...

I really like this plant. I had it years ago and since then, I haven't been able to find it in nurseries. I'm still looking.

EG CameraGirl said...

I really like the colour of the autumn sage. It's a luscious shade.

My Memories and Crystals said...

wow, I missed the camera with black and white. It's different, love it.
By the way, thanks for the visit. I will try to come back soon.