Monday, September 14, 2009

Torch Lily


Torch Lily
KniphofiaCoolnip
(nip-HOFF-ee-uh)
Synonyms: Red Hot Poker, Tritoma

On Sunday morning I decided to visit Wave Hill Gardens in the Bronx. The gardens were in good shape and there was a plethora of botanical treats to be had. This Torch Lily really stood out as very different. The color scheme and the size of the flower were distinctive. After reading up on it when I got home I learned it was introduced in 2005 by Seneca Hills Perennials and Ginny Hunt. The garden tour only lasted a couple of hours but was worth the drive.

Here is a link to Seneca Hill’s Kniphofia page:
Link

Kniphofia has been featured on this site several times (use the labels if you want to see those pictures). It is an easy and beautiful flower to take a picture of.

This weekend has been all about backing up our computers. The new 1TB (1024 gigabytes) Maxtor Central Axis has been getting a work out. It runs through the router and is available to all the computers on the network. It was pretty much plug and play and started working right away, thankfully. I was happy to see that the price I paid at Staples a couple of weeks ago was about $50 lower than the website price for the drive. Sometimes it pays to visit your local brick and mortar store.

The backup plan consists of two external hard drives and DVDs. I can’t stress it enough to photographers that you need to back up your stuff regularly. Take it from someone who has felt the pain of losing information and photos.

3 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I hate to even think of losing my photos. Haven't backed up for a while. Thanks for the reminder!
I am partial to the orange and yellow Kniphofia.

Unknown said...

I can't even imagine losing photos... yikes. :(

And I love that kniphofia. I don't particularly like the red-and-yellow ones, but this one, the bronze-y ones like 'Toffee-Nosed' and the greens really catch my attention.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks for the comments, both of you.

Janet, backing up gives me a little sense of security and takes the worry out of any kind of equipment malfunction.


Hi Kim, this Poker is really striking. Does it seem there is a trend to this yellow-
lime green type of flower or is it just me?